Monday, August 22, 2011

~grandpa's chair~

i found this old, old chair at a garage sale, it had belonged to the seller's grandpa

i tried to convince her to keep it, really i did

{drat, can't find the before photo}

anyway, it was a very old, solid wood chair, and very heavy!

i couldn't decide whether to keep it natural or paint...

but the peeling varnish had me a little concerned

so paint it was



lightly sanded off the loose varnish, and gave it just one coat of old white chalk paint




the brown of the varnish kinda seeped through as the paint dried, but that's okay, makes it look more authentic




gave it a light sanding here and there and finished with a layer of clear wax




love how the seat is molded from years of use!
{you can see the brown from the varnish seeping through on the seat}




then I had to play around a little of course




white roses from my garden in a favorite white pitcher




{these roses smell divine}



~and a little more ~





that is a child's vintage nightgown laying on the chair



Tracey


10 comments:

Barbara Matson said...

That makes the chair even more special knowing it has some sentimental value!

What did hubby have to say about it?

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I love granpa's chair! Hey, I posted about the runner and pillow cover on my blog, just thought you'd like to take a peek! I love both and thanks for the speedy shipping!

Rondell

Megan Gunyan said...

Oh, how cute! I love how you fixed it up and made it new. Every chair needs a new makeover now and then. Those flowers are gorgeous--I wish I could get mine to grow like that! Great job.

I'm having a Shabby Apple dress giveaway---I'd love for you to check it out! www.alittleknickknack.com

Just Jaime said...

Love the distressed look!

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

Love Grandpa's chair. Adorable how you set it up with the flowers and such.

~Shanon

Mona Kay Gorman said...

Just love it!

Sandi said...

That chair is a keeper. I have a wooden chair that was my grandfathers and I plan on keeping it forever! I did paint it white though. ;)
Blessings~

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Sometimes that little bit of old brown coming through really adds so much to the look of old age. The chair is so charming, and no doubt Grandpa (even if he is yours only by adoption of a chair) must be so pleased to see used and loved again.

Design Dork said...

I love the chair. And the roses. And the vessel their sitting in. Beautiful!

awal.ny said...

I think the chair looks great. I am also a believer that if it takes a little white paint to make you love something more then paint away.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I love reading your comments and getting to know you a little better!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...