Saturday, October 13, 2012

~dropcloth, burlap and hydrangea fall wreath~



Well that wonderful warm weather I was bragging about came to an abrupt halt and so we are now well and truly in fall mode! Nesting mode. Make a new wreath mode.


025


I had been wanting to put together a new wreath for fall, something a little more neutral and natural. When I saw one over at Craftberry Bush I knew that was the direction I was headed.


082


But first I needed dried hydrangea blooms. Preferably greens and browns for fall, but my bush was pink. 
Or was it. 
Here’s the interesting thing, when I went out there the blooms had all turned green in the fall, I had never noticed that before. Maybe the warm dry weather helped. 
So I picked tons of blooms!


080


If you’ve never dried hydrangeas before it is dead easy, you just cut the blooms, plunk them in water and leave them to dry out. I have pitchers of hydrangeas all over the house, from my yard and a friend’s.

I’m still undecided on how I feel about dried flowers, I have tended to steer away from dried flower arrangements, but pitchers of green and brown hydrangeas feel very fresh and fallish in the home.


087


So, moving on to the wreath, I made it just using what I had on hand, and it honestly took less than an hour. 
I used strips of dropcloth and burlap, as well as hydrangea blooms and dried white roses. 
I tied 3 or 4 dropcloth strips for every burlap strip.


030


Here’s a close up of the fabric strips tied around the wreath.


029


The white roses mostly disintegrated when I tried to handle them! Less is more definitely applied here!
 I just hot-glued on a couple buds and petals as best I could.


026


Lucy over at Craftberry Bush gives a great tutorial on making this wreath, so hop on over there and take a peek.

If I were to make this again there are a couple things I would do differently.

 I would use a larger wreath form, mine was a little small for all that fabric and my big front door!

I also wouldn’t knot the fabric, just a single loop is enough {like the first tie you make on a shoelace}. That way it is less bulky.


032


Though my wreath could use a little tweaking at least it is up, and I am happy with a finished project for nowSmile

Happy Fall!

Tracey

028


025


I love the contrast of the neutral colours against the black, and the slightly messy look of the fabric ties.

4 comments:

Claudine from ReStory.ca said...

Hi, Tracy!
Your wreath looks beautiful!
I made a burlap one a while ago and I felt it was too small for my door, also!
I will make a bigger one, I will see if I still have hydrangeas in my yard!
Hugs,
Claudine

Tracey Ayton Photography said...

Oh I just love this!!! My hydrangeas are white with that lovely pinky color right now. Heading out picking some RIGHT NOW. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Junebug Furniture and Design said...

Love your burlap wreath!! It's cold in the northwest, but think we can find hyrangeas at the market. Thank you for sharing!
We are your newest follower too!!

xoxo Glad & Celia

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Love your wreath! The hydrangeas are so pretty with the burlap.
New Follower.

Jody

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I love reading your comments and getting to know you a little better!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...