Sunday, August 8, 2010

have you ever made a fabric yarn ball?



it's soooo easy.....

i'm sorry, i don't have photos of the process, but basically you take a polystyrene ball
(whatever size you want your yarn ball to be, i used medium and large balls; the small ones i cheated and bought, too fiddly!!)





tear long narrowish strips of cottons ( i used checks and stars mostly for this batch - you can mix fabrics too)

i made these when i was in my primitive phase, i think it would be super fun to make more now i'm back to my shabby vintage roots!

how about a pile of white shabby fabric balls - or vintage florals, hmmm.....




anyways, i digress.....secure the start of your fabric strip into the ball with a pin

then just keep winding tightly around the ball changing direction from time to time to make sure the ball is covered(secure the end with a pin again)

pile them up in a basket with an old wooden spool or knitting needles



voila! fabric yarn balls!!


I'm linking up at these parties - be sure to stop by and check out the talent!

Tracey

15 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Tracey!
Great idea. Now I know what to do with all those scraps of material that I have taking up so much room! I cannot throw fabric away no matter what! Problem solved.

hugs
Sissie

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

This makes a cheery display in that great wire basket! Jacqueline

Fallan said...

I am def. going to try this! I've been wanting to make some sort of balls for decoration. I like these! So easy too!

Leigh said...

Ooh, I am in love with those fabric "yarn" balls! Thanks for finding my blog and leaving such a nice comment.
--Leigh
dirtcheapdecoratingdivas.blogspot.com

Heaven's Walk said...

Cute cute cute, Tracey! They're just adorable! Very farmy and folksy looking in that basket. And what a fun project to do with your kids or grandkids, huh? :)

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Tracey...I'm seeing them with wonderful, warm provencal fabrics! Thanks for the tip! Here's where I found my frenchy fabric:
http://www.frugalfabrics.com/
It's a small local chain that hasn't gotten their online business up and going yet, but I bet they'd mail! Thier $18 a yard is waaay cheaper than Horchow's $41 a yard for the same fabric! Hope you are having a great day!...hugs...Debbie

Tara said...

Hi Tracey,last year I made a whole bunch of these and put them on my christmas tree..Love these balls..xx

Terrell said...

Ohhh these are terrific!! I am having a link party every Friday at FrouFrouDecor! I'd love for you to link these up!! Have a great afternoon!
~Terrell @ FFD~

Anonymous said...

They look great! What a fun and simple project! Thanks for sharing!
~ Jo :)

Staci J said...

Those are so shabby and cute! You can never have enough decor balls:)
Visiting from justsewsassy.com
Come by and check out my fun giveaway going on right now!!
http://justsewsassy.com/2010/08/10/tuesday-tutorial-anthro-inspired-headband/

Cecily said...

Very cool and pretty! They turned out awesome!

Ticking and Toile said...

I have always loved those!! thanks so much!!!

And thanks for coming by today ~ oh and your Q....it leaves a VERY faint orange smell (you can only smell it if you put it up to your nose & take a big whiff!! :) ) until you iron it, then it completely goes away.

xo,
Shellagh

Rosie said...

So sweet Tracey...lovin' those little yarn balls
.............smile on...Rosie..........

Barbara Jean said...

Oh my! I made those years ago. Fabric balls, only all fabric, no styro centers.
And I made mini ones too. Yep, tiny little strips and made them about 3/4" around. still have a couple i think. Those were my country days too.
Great idea to make them out of creams.

Thanks for coming by to visit.

blessings

barbara jean

Rosie said...

Happy Sunday Tracey...hope you had a lovely day, and are ready to take on the new week before us
..........Smile on...Rosie

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I love reading your comments and getting to know you a little better!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...